Sunday 13 November 2016

Hello and welcome back

So let me explain this latest blog
Why I wrote it, why this subject

I intended to get a ticket to this event, I saw it in a brochure set across the city 
via
The Humber Mouth Literature Festival
I left it till the very last day
Yep I know what you are thinking, why the hell would I do that
Partly because I underestimated and because I was busy, really busy
Photo Courtesy of
Jerome Whittingham of Photmoments
To see more

 Thankfully after talking to Dave Windass who is widely known throughout the city of Hull I got myself a seat
I can not begin to tell you how grateful I was and am for that thank you again Dave!!!

So I arrived, a little later than I hoped the room in Hull's central library was packed, rows upon rows of people chatting quietly away
There was a buzz, a hyper feeling of excitement 
I did/don't know Akala at all but when I showed friends the gig I wanted to attend they all was saying how they wanted to go and how Akala is very talented, educated and interesting

For deatils on the Central library Hull for events and day to day 
see more here

So I sat among the crowd
The mc came on and then introduced Akala 
Of course I knew he had something to give, something to share and would truly educate me

After reading this 
Founded in 2009 by BAFTA and MOBO award-winning hip-hop artist, writer, poet and historian AKALA is a label owner/social entrepreneur who fuses a unique sound with fierce lyrical storytelling. The Hip-Hop Shakespeare Company is a music theatre production company that explores the social, cultural and linguistic parallels between the works of William Shakespeare and that of modern day hip-hop artists
I just knew, I knew I would see and hear things I never knew about because let's be very honest here when did you ever see such an eloquent set of words jump of the screen and make you want to go see something?
Me neither...

Okay, okay I had a little crush mainly because clearly this guy is interesting, I was and am curious about him
A warm tone, gentle, open so upbeat and knowledgeable which is totally humbling by the way

This 

I need to add that it is a 'refreshing to see a man of his depth to be such a a positive and influential gift

Of course a gift, teaching is maybe not the right word educating is too formal and straight laced 
He talked to the crowd not at them, that is a factor you need to know

This
Firstly there was a great interaction 
rap quotes or quotes of Shakespeare
A raise of hands for which it was, I was hesitant to raise my hand to some
Despite what you see of me, think of me and what the outer Sydell is I am shy I can be very private 

However I joined in mostly and was happy to see I knew more than I thought

This old school 

Then to learning some lines and reciting them back, which I stayed out of but did enjoy
The conversing of stage to audience was magical 
Akala seemed to have us all in a grip, this young talented man had us all

Akala's website

It flooded into a Q&A many hands raised many points spoken all with beautifully answered replies
Given all the American "Trump gate" that did come up resoundingly Akala gave us an insight 
It was fun, I wanted more so to learn, listen and become more of what he is and what he knows

Akala is a well rounded and open man with a lot to give 
I hope he enjoyed Hull, I hope to see him again!

Here's some more about 
Humber mouth 
Hull events page

No comments:

Post a Comment